Tuesday, September 30, 2008
1/4 cup butter
1 large onion, diced
2 large carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 medium potatoes, diced
1/2 lb. green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
6 cups water
1/2 small head cabbage, shredded
1 16-ounce can tomatoes
1/2 10-ounce bag fresh spinach, coarsely shredded
2 medium zucchini, diced
6 beef-flavor bouillon cubes or envelopes
1 teaspoon salt 1 16-to-20 ounce can red kidney beans, drained
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1. In 8-quart Dutch oven over medium heat, in hot oil and butter, cook onion, carrots, celery, potatoes and green beans until vegetables are lightly browned, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add water, cabbage, tomatoes with their liquid, spinach, zucchini, bouillon cubes and salt. Over high heat, heat to boiling, stirring to break up tomatoes.
3. Reduce heat to low; cover; simmer 40 minutes or until all the vegetables are very tender, stirring occasionally; do not overcook.
4. Sit in beans; cook 15 minutes longer or just until the soup is slightly thickened.
5. Top with parmesan cheese when serving.(The Goodhousekeeping Illustrated Cookbook; Zoe Coulson; William Morrow & Co.; 1980)
Posted by smartcookie at 4:30 PM