Tuesday, July 28, 2009

TWD: Vanilla Ice Cream & Recipe: Dump-it-In Peach Cobbler

When I was riding the train home tonight I noticed it smelled kind of like a hotel. Bizarre. For a few brief moments, I pretended like I was in the fanciest hotel ordering room service. The D train screeched into Atantic/Pacific street station...and I remembered I had something special waiting for me in the fridge. Not room service...but really though, there is no better comfort dessert than this peach cobbler. My mom always made it when my sister and I were growing-up, and it's the perfect dish for summer. The recipe from Tuesdays with Dorie this week was picked by CafeLynnylu, and it was a natural companion to the cobbler.

You can't imagine what running an oven in an air condition-less apartment will do to the temperature, but let's just say I was sweating...

Dump-it-in Peach Cobbler
1 stick unsalted butter
1C sugar
1C self-rising flour
1C milk 
1 large can of peaches (syrup drained)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Using a small-medium baking dish (I use my square Pyrex), place the butter in the dish and put it in the oven. In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar, milk and self-rising flour (must be self-rising).  Pull the dish with the melted butter out of the oven, and pour in the flour mixture. DO NOT stir.  Pour drained peaches on top. Bake for 60 minutes. The crust should be golden brown. 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 
CREDIT:  The Small World of Cooking (Favorite Recipes Press 1984)

3 comments:

TeaLady said...

Are you my long lost sister? Do we share a brain?? When I posted my Vanilla Ice cream it was also with Dump Cake. But mine uses cake mix.

Will have to try yours. Looks delicious.

Sarah said...

Yum!!! What an easy delicious thing-- too bad I have gained 5 kilos over vacation---I'll make it in a few weeks. Gotta love comfort food.

Jadyn said...

OMG...I LOVE peach cobbler. Can't wait to try this yummy recipe. I just brought back fresh peaches from Alabama too! love you, see you soon!