Thursday, July 17, 2008

Rambling:Italian Ices

...to Queens and Beyond

I will give you the short version. David is spending six weeks in Queens this summer at St. Johns. He just finished his two-year commitment with Teach for America, but he is still working for them this summer as a CMA. Basically, he is teaching the new teachers how to teach.

So, last weekend I got to pretend like I was a freshman in college again. You know--stay in a dorm, get an student i.d., order pizza, sleep in a twin bed... I met David in Astoria around 7 on Friday and he came to pick me up in his new car, which he had just purchased hours prior to our meeting. Of course, it wasn't that simple. I told him I was in a "park," which, apparently my idea of a park has decreased substantially since I moved to NJ/NY, because I was really on a concrete slab. David, in fact, thought I was in the real park (these often include, I don't know...grass?), which was just across the street. This caused much confusion for both of us. His new car is very nice, but I couldn't help but burst out laughing when I saw the tinted windows. So tinted, they are illegal. haha. He was in no mood for my antics. We met several of his co-workers at the beer garden and ate bratwurst and drank delicious beer at picnic tables--this place is fantastic. Think Hofbrahaus in Munich.

We ran errands all day in Brooklyn, and ended the day at The Lemon Ice King of Corona. Talk about the food of summer. We both ordered two smalls a piece. David ordered coconut and raspberry, and I ordered pina colada and mint chocolate chip. This Italian ice was smooth and flavorful. It didn't get watery, it wasn't too sugary, and it had depth. mmm. Good way to end a Saturday in the summer. You can find these pictures on http://www.lightningfield.com/, the owner of the website takes pictures in and around New York.

No comments: